Saturday, May 16, 2015

The One At The Beach

One of the perks of living in Savannah is its proximity to the beach. Last night when my husband asked, "What's the weather like tomorrow?" and I answered, "It will be sunny and cloudless"...we both know what that means. We're heading for the beach! 

What I like about living close to the beach is that we can go there with as little planning as possible. My family was at the beach before 9am. We had no beach umbrella, no beach towel to sit on, no snacks, and no cooler to drag. When we got out of the car, we just had with us hats, sunglasses, sunblock, beach ball, and surfing board for the kids. We're really simply there to frolick under the sun.

I also love it that at that hour, the beach wasn't very crowded yet. The only draw back is that the water is a little bit chilly (it isn't summer yet after all) so Paul was getting "bored" because he couldn't swim. Thanks to my years of experience of impromptu lesson planning, I was able to improvise some games. The kids and I played "sand fight" (like a snow fight). Ten points if you hit the head, 5 if you hit the upper torso, and 2 if you hit the lower body. That was fun but boys are rough playmates! I think I still have red marks from where I was hit. On the other hand, Andrea emptied her dad's coffee cup so she can use it to collect seashells but there wasn't much on the shore so we used the cup to play "basketball" instead. We placed the cup in the middle of us and made balls out of mud. Everytime your "ball" makes it to the cup, you get 2 points. I won that game easily. We also met a Filipina who lives close to us. She invited us to her house next weekend (new possible friend...yay!)

When we left close to noon, the beach was already packed and the sun was already intense. It was the quickest packing up we've ever done--only because the only thing we had to do was pick up our shirts and hats. This trip is definitely happening again soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment